Saturday, October 23, 2004

It's almost time...

thoughts from Friday:

It hit me. It just hit me. I was sitting outside reading Simmons's mailbag from fans post Game 7. The Red Sox beat they Yankees. I am just coming to grips with what this means. As fans of the Boston Red Sox we are taught (force fed) the notion that the Yankees were the superior team. By baseball historians, Yankee fans and the media. This wasn't supposed to happen. But it did.

I can claim being a fan for my whole life, but what does that matter? I'm 24 years old. As much as it means to me, there are people who this means so much more to. The Red Sox are an intricate part of the New England landscape and mean so much to everyone and the fabric of our livelihood. Hopefully we will all be able to share one thing: A Red Sox Championship.

My first memory involving the Red Sox is watching the games with my grandmother, while my mom and dad were working at the restaurant. I remember game 6 versus the Mets and what happened, but I didn't know why that was so bad.

Walking around Fenway Park after dinner, I was amazed at the number of people wearing Red Sox apparel. It was a surreal feeling. This is where things will happen tomorrow. In less than 24 hours

I decided to wander into the Twin's Store to check out what gear that they had in stock. I've had requests from my family and friends across the country to get them something. Having lived in Boston they know what this means. It's history and who doesn't want a part of it. $30 for a t-shirt and $35 is just not going to happen. Besides they only had 2004 AL Championship merchandise. I made a promise that if the Sox ever win a World Series in my lifetime that I would buy as much merchandise as possible. The important t-shirt hasn't been printed yet. ... so I will wait.



 

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home