Wednesday, May 25, 2005

Frankly, I'm sick of it

Don't get me wrong. This time I'm not complaining about my lack of Dates or even the quality of said Dates. In fact my calendar has been a regular whirlwind of panties and Cristal. But with that being said I am so sick of dinner and drinks.

Now that I'm legal I think dinner and drinks has replaced dinner and a movie as the most cliche date around . I have no problem with eating. In fact I love food, gotta eat. (You know learning how to make a meal together would be a good date. Or attending an Iron Chef event would be fun.) But it's the whole drinks thing that gets me. Sure I like drinking. Sure I enjoy the company of others. And I love the fact that plying you with Cosmos will invariably lead to removal of clothing.

I don't know, it's just so expected. And maybe those expectations are what deems drinks to be such a necessary evil. Drinking will prolong the evening, something that is inherently good if you are both enjoying yourself, but again why the drinking? Maybe it's because we're all older now but it seems as if "drinks" have become the standard fallback for the majority of dates.

The duration of a meal should be more than an ample amount of time to get to know a person. If you like the person you'll figure it out pretty quickly. More often than not, we are so captivated that we forget to actually look at the menu. I don't have any hard data on the matter, but I bet you waitresses can tell when a couple is on a first date. Waitresses are a crafty bunch; when your livelihood depends on the will of a customer, you better be in tune with their ebb and flow and that means more than just brining out my steak wrap in a timely fashion. The leaning in, laughing a bit too much, sure nerves can be attributed, but surely the magical tete-a-tete of the first date is a wonder to behold (if not great comedic material).

Of course the key to any successful date is the inherent rapport between the two individuals and a bar setting could be an excellent atmosphere to enhance such "chemistry", I guess. I strive for being unique and memorable. (And for you lucky ladies out there a night with me will be nothing short of fantastic, nay life-altering. If at the minimum you do not enjoy yourself then I apologize for the agonizing cramps you surely must have been experiencing prior to going out. )

So what's a guy to do? I only have myself to blame. Other than the occasional encounter with the fair coed I will conitue playing this game with you Date. Dinner, drinks and the occasional laser show, roller derby or factory tour. But so are the perils of dating sexy, young urbanites. And as sometimes as great (necessary) an adult libation can be, I yearn for the occasional gallery opening or ice rink. And secretly I long for the days of mini-golf and bumper boats. Curse you suburban upbringing, curses!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home