Tuesday, November 29, 2005

Kiss of Death

Came across this the other day. Very disturbing seeing as PB & Js are the lifeblood of most youngsters I know. Plus Reese’s Peanut butter Cups, Snickers, and the Crunch n Munch/Fiddle Faddle/Cracker Jack triumvirate so delish. And what’s more American than eating shelled peanuts while watching a baseball game?

I don’t know what it is, but this peanut allergy trend is becoming almost pandemic. Supposedly 1.5 million Americans. I never really heard of it, save within the last 10 years or so, but The Jule is a teacher and says that it’s pretty standard issue to have a Peanut Free Zone. (What’s next outlawing soda machines from schools and eliminating gym class?) Ludicrous I know right? But if anything we are a litigious society.

It definitely seems to be a recent phenomenon. In that regards it is similar to how history shows Alzheimer’s to be a direct result of post industrialization. And what may have triggered this outbreak of extreme legume aversion? My money’s on the Internet. A far reaching theory, but it’s got to be something.

Anyways I have become quite familiar with food allergies in the past few years. I found out that I am part lactard, but have hitched my wagon to Lactaid and once again am basking in the glory of yogurt and cheese with reckless abandon. I’ve also had the (mis)fortune to date a few gals with food allergies. Seafood, various fruits and the like. And while it’s nothing to really laugh about, I think I almost put my ex in a coma after I ate 6 bacon wrapped scallops, followed by a session of heavy making out. Moral of the story: still not a role model. Oh and learn how to use an Epi-pen.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home