Tuesday, January 25, 2005

Now sit down and let me tell you about my day. As you may, or may not, know Monday was my first day working as a copywriter. But more importanlty it was my first indoctrination into large corporation culture. Office Space-esque, a bit Dilbert. Yes, in the sense it's a large corporation and no in the fact that I work in Creative. Regardless my day was as follows:

8:15-10: breakfast and introuductions. Nothing like out of season fruit, muffins and ice breakers to start your day off. Although the coffee was rather tasty, I do regret drinking 2 1/2 cups, as I'm sure I missed something while in the bathroom.

10-11: tour of the grounds. Imagine that you are at Disneyland and are taking part in the Jungle Cruise ride. Now imagine all the giraffes, hippos, tunnels and natives have been replaced by conference rooms, copy centers, lunch rooms, and water coolers.... good times!

11-11:55: in theory I should know exactly what sort of health, dental, life, stock option, 401 (k), etc. that I want. Let's just say I have a bit of reading to do this week.

12-12:45: lunch with my sponsor Matt. Good guy. Me: pepperoni and feta calzone. Him: pasta, sauce and steak concoction that looked pretty good.

1-2: wandering around with Matt, meeting and/or greeting. Attempt at establishing voicemail & email, but alas it was all for not, as Tech did not set me up with an account. It's cool.

2-4: My first assingment! Unfortunately my new manager was caught in the storm and was unable to come in to talk to me in person. So tomorrow is First Day part II. And she told me I have a Meeting with the content group!

4:02: And I'm in the parking lot on my way home from my first day at work. All's left is to pick up my speed pass and make it home in time to meet the Poet for dinner.

So that was my First Day's Running Diary and here is a brief synopsis of Date #2:

Again a few minutes late because of the slush, underestimation of distance and my general lack of dircetions. Had a pretty good dinner at this new Italian restaurant I've been meaning to try out for some time. Grabbing drinks at the local Mexican watering hole. And back to her place to catch some Family Guy Season 2. A fine night indeed.

Now off to some much overdue sleep for work.

p.s. my cube is by the window!

5 Comments:

At 9:12 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey there Mister Copywriter, I believe the expression is "all for naught" and not "all for not" :o)

What Italian place did you eat at? Farina's? Oh wait, that's a bike shop. D'oh!

 
At 9:12 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 
At 9:13 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Stupid V, clicking on Publish twice...sorry about the dual-comment :oP

 
At 1:08 PM, Blogger Quan Solo said...

V,

You're right regarding the naught/not issue.
And the restaraunt was Red Sauce in the Arsenal. Very hard to find, but it was decent. Yummy bread and sauce... go figure.

Did you end up having people over for the game? How long did you have to shovel for?

 
At 8:33 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Just D and I for the game, he helped me shovel that afternoon, it only took about and hour or so I think.

Great game, I can't wait till the Super Bowl!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home