Sunday, January 30, 2005

This is not a cautionary tale for anyone else but myself.

I really enjoy telling the story of the time I realized how bad procrastinating can be.

I remember one Friday, back during sophomore year, where I stayed in to do work and it payed off handsomely. Imagine that: one night of not going out and I was no longer living behind the eight-ball. As much fun as the Sunday rituals of sitting around frantically scrambling to complete the previous week's reading was you can only take so much of that.

If only I learned, I was so young.

Fast forward to last semester Senior year, a scant three weeks before graduation. Think about that for a second. Practically everything was done. The crowd was leaving, the bus was idling and the Jell-O was jiggling. I was done. All I had to do was complete one last assignment for my Advertising Management class. It was a piece of cake. My chosen topic: the proliferation of childhood obesity and advertising's effect upon it. It was incredibly interesting subject matter and there was some amazing pieces of literature on it. In fact Eric Schlosser's Fast Food Nation made quite the impact on me, leading to a year plus long hiatus on eating McDonald's.

Somehow I kept on putting the paper off the entire week. I had gotten my research and outline done, but somehow the paper was not written yet. That's okay because I knew I could turn it on whenever I wanted. And besides I know I work best under pressure.
My prof. John Verret is perhaps one of the smartest men I have ever met and by no means was I going to give him a slapdash paper; he would see right through that.

Sunday night was my time to get the paper done. It was due Tuesday afternoon and I had tickets to see the Gorillaz on Monday night.

Long story short: I ended up giving the tickets to my friend Tim and stayed up till 4 am working on the paper; B+ on the paper; eating more Wendy's; and the lesson of not putting things off till the last minute, learned after essentially 4 years, 100K + worth of education... Fantastic!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home