Tuesday, February 01, 2005

Tonight was the mythical Third Date with the Poet: where you and said person either realize, a) you have really nothing in common other than the need to eat and drink, or b) end up exploring the intricacies of your textured ceiling. But seriosuly, you'll know where you stand.

You know what? I have never really had a bad date before. Honest. While things have not always progressed to serious relationship-land, I have always had fun. Witty banter, shared laughs, learning an interesting fact, always enjoying thedelightful tête-à-tête of getting to know someone. But I guess there's a first time for everything.

Bad omen to start the night. I really put a lot of effort into tonight and was literally racking my brain (and others') trying to figure out where to take the Poet. But for a variety of reasons, our foray into Boston was put on the shelf. This would have to wait. All downhill from there. Plan B was some sort of university-sponsored forum at her school. Something about politics, activism and the '60s. Sure, why not? We'll spend time together; grab some food, yada, yada.

Don't get me wrong, I don't mind having the impassioned political conversation every now and then, but t
he entire freaking night revolved around it. I thought I was safe when we were discussing our favorite ice cream flavors, but somehow Ben & Jerry's segued into Northeast liberalism.

And that's the double-edged sword. I love the fact that she is so passionate about things: literature, food, so many things; the fact that she cares and devotes so much of herself to those things, and others, is incredible. But god, everything was just consumed by politics. When it came to dominate the conversation and evening I really couldn't deal anymore. Maybe I don't have enough conviction, but this really wasn't what I had in mind.
The straw that broke the camel's back was when she said she was shocked that I liked Family Guy because it was so liberal. What the hell? Honestly! You can question my religious, political and sexual beliefs all you want, but to call out what I watch on TV? That's really too far. And you know what, it makes no sense at all. FG is one of the funniest shows on TV. It is edgy and crosses the line (in a homo-erotically charged ball of fire, nonetheless) yet it is somehow on Fox. Seriously she just couldn't let it go. I wonder if she sensed how I was feeling? I hit the eject button on the night, citing some unfinished work to do (which I do and really should be doing instead of this.)

It sucks because I was really having feelings for her. And it really pissed me off that I somehow came across as the conservative one. Not to mention the fact I spent $10 on ice cream that I didn't finish because I'm lactose intolerant. Ugh.

3 Comments:

At 11:39 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

from the blonde one...

mike, you will never be the conservative one to me. i'm sorry the date sucked. good thing you found out she is crazy relatively early.

 
At 8:43 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow, I had no idea you are lactose intolerant.
- Jason

 
At 9:45 PM, Blogger The Jule said...

Mike, maybe your first dating failure was meant to happen so that you could meet your dream girl this weekend at the housewarming, which I keep wanting to call Homecoming. You never know....next time bring lactaid.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home