Monday, September 26, 2005

Go big slice or go home

That's the motto of this past weekend. Motto, what's a motto? Nothing, what's a matto with you. Ha, been waiting over a year to work that in here. Comedy gold. And without further ado, my weekend in DC.

First of all, two days is never enough time. Especially with so many people to visit and things to do. I've been to DC/Va a few times before so I left the Monument/Museum scene to the fanny-pack crowd. I was going to see two of my best friends and my cousin , my boys for the weekend, if you will.

I guess the trip could be called a smashing success as my body is aching quite a bit this Monday back. Maybe it was 1) the serious college-era drinking/late nights combo, 2) every meal came with a side of fries option, 3) sleeping on a futon for the first time in my life (I know weird right, but I made it through 4 years of college and 3 years post either making it home or finding a familiar bed to crash in) 4) wake up and repeat. Good times.

That and some pretty intense flag football. Especially when you are playing the role of "ringer" for your cousin's company team. Team "GT" made a good showing and I think they will learn much for their next
contest. Gotta learn how to pick up the rush, a few RBs staying in to chip block will buy the gimpy Q some more time and good God please come up with a better team name! No one's scared of some WASP-inspired
cube-dwellers, but "Unecessary Roughness" will leave your opponents hearing the footsteps all day long. All day baby, all day!

And the real reason for the trip: a pilgrimage to the hallowed ground of baseball's modern day renaissance, the majestic Camden Yards, to see my beloved Sox sweep the O's and secure a first place tie atop the AL East. Let me tell you the place is beautiful. All the waxing nostalgia is true: a great place to see a ballgame. Sight lines,
concessions, seating all top-notch. And nearby parking that left me change from an Andrew Jackson. Funny but flying a thousand miles to see the Sox play ends up being cheaper than two days at Fenway.

The thing is that I felt like I was in Fenway, albeit more comfy and on the cheap. I beleive the tv guys referred to it as Fenway South. Too bad for the Os' players but Camden was a truly partisan Red Sox crowd. From the sea of red blanketing the stands to the chants of M-V-P whenever Papi came to the plate. Defeaning. And pretty damn cool. And while seeing a game there rekindled my stance on the need for a new Red Sox ballpark, that argument is better left for another day.

All in all a fantastic time and probably the final trip in my summer-long On the Road bonanza. Just let me give another shout out to my
boys Ballsville, F-Dub and Duke again! Homies foreva... (awe)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home